The Atlanta Commercial Inspection Process
In the process of a commercial inspection, Champia conducts an in-depth review of the desired building. These inspections include specifics such as cost to cure and five year aging according to the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) guidelines, or we can focus on the following:
- Site – We perform a walk-through of the property and record the condition of entire site. This includes such things as drainage, lighting, retaining walls, any signage, and parking lots including the availability of handicap parking.
- Structure – We conduct examinations of the foundation and any accessible areas below grade, including framing and other supports. All is checked for damage and possible deterioration.
- Exterior – The exterior of the property is examined for any wear and deterioration as well. Exterior doors and loading docks (if applicable) are used in full function and noted if in proper working order. Limitations to the entrances/exits are also recorded. If docks are on site we evaluate cladding, bumpers, and any other parts related to their functionality.
- Roof – A roof inspection includes detail such as whether the roof is pitched or flat, material the roof consists of, and of course condition. All roof penetrations are checked over and evaluated. Any found ponding, needed repairs, deteriorations or defects are recorded.
- Plumbing – All plumbing, from supply to drainage is inspected. This includes water heaters, guttering, and kitchens if applicable.
- Electrical – Electrical systems are thoroughly inspected. From the transformer to throughout the building, nothing is unturned. All wiring, interior and exterior is examined and recorded.
- Heat/Air Conditioning – All units are operated to their full functionality. This includes cooling towers, central heating plants, and forced air units in warehouses.
- Interior – All interior spaces are thoroughly walked-through, heated or unheated. Floors, doors, and wall conditions are all inspected and noted. If there are elevators on the premises, they are evaluated as well.
- Insulation and Ventilation – Wherever the possibility lies, insulation and ventilation is inspected, including assessing the R factor of the insulation. Kitchen ventilators are operated and all ventilation penetrations in the roofing are checked out.
The best way to really know the property you’re considering is to be an active participant in the inspection process. We strongly encourage you to be present during the Champia inspection.
Schedule an inspection online or call (770) 953-0767.